Inner Springs with a Wool Fire Barrier?
Sep 6, 2011 10:29 PM
I have been following this forum for some time and wanted to see if anyone knows of any Inner Spring mattress that use Wool Fire Barriers verses chemicals. Doing a quick web search a person can find a few retailers boosting "Eco" and "Chemical Free" claims but its hard to judge just from those claims; But short of cutting open a mattress there’s no way to confirm the true components of an Inner Spring Mattress.

If you have any insist on a Manufacture or Retailer that may have a quality Inner Spring Bed with a Wool Fire Barrier I would appreciate it. I know there are several Latex Foam DIY beds that incorporate a wool fire barrier, which is easy to verify as you can open the bed.

I currently have two beds:

1) Talalay Latex Flo Bed ILD: 1” of 24; 2.8” of 36; 2.8” of 40; 2.8” of 40

(Oddly enough I think this bed is sorta soft, and am thinking of replacing the 1” of 24 with 1” of 32”)

2) an old Ther-a-pedic Award Series – Bronze Edition, Inner Spring Bed relatively firm when new, about 350* Coils though.

I was always very pleased with the Inner Spring Bed but as it is 13 years old, I was looking to see if there was a relatively comparable Inner Spring Bed I could possibly replace it with.

Re: Inner Springs with a Wool Fire Barrier?
Reply #1 Dec 11, 2011 9:44 PM
orangeknight -- did you ever find a similar mattress to your Ther-a-pedic Award Series - Bronze edition? Almost no one makes flippable innerspring mattresses anymore and most of them are expensive. The Original Mattress Factory (originalmattress.com) in Minneapolis, MN, still makes them for a reasonable price but the shipping adds lots more cost if you don't live near one of their stores. I just bought a twin mattress at the mid to lower end for about $200 at one of their stores. The quality is definitely worth it, IMO. One week after that, I saw a box spring, mattress, and steel frame relatively unused for $75 and I just brought it home. It is the exact same Ther-a-pedic that you referred to in your post and it truly is a firm mattress. I don't know how old it is but Im hoping my daughter will get several years of use out of it when she moves into her own apartment next year. (The $200 mattress stay with the bed in OUR house!)

I saw the insides of the Mattress Factory beds but I can't recall the specifics of the material. I thought it was cotton as opposed to wool. Of course, if you get the "padded" and "softer" beds, they'll stick in that polyurethane foam on top of that.

Recent Posts