It’s been awhile since I posted! Pain in the middle of my back every waking day now….help!
Sep 7, 2024 12:15 AM

I've been a member here for well over 18 years. And I've been very satisfied with my mattress configuration and topper choices...until now.

History: We purchased two XL twin matts and foundations in a King frame in 2006.  A locally owned shop sells mattresses with a quilted zippered cover and inside ours are heavy duty LuraFlex coils, HR foam and medium to heavy talalay layers, zipped into the zippered quilted cover.  

It's been just fine for 18 years with a 1.5" Omalon topper and on top of that a 2" 3 lbs. memory foam topper. Holding all that together was a CuddleBed quilted plush mattress cover.  It was perfect for years...until it wasn't.  My back started hurting awhile ago. I figured the memory foam topper was wearing out.  We had added that a couple years after 2006.  So I took it off and added a better quality 3 lbs. 2 inch memory foam topper I had bought from FoamByMail years ago for a guest trundle bed, but it was never laid upon.  It's a supportive memory foam that comes back quickly when pushed on.  I put it just on my side of the bed.  While it feels very good when I'm lying there all night, I was still waking up with a sore back. After using a hot compress the pain would go away. But as soon as I slept on it, I'd wake up with a backache again.  Usually mid back.  I'm a side sleeper but haven't been able to sleep on my back ever since things went downhill with our bed.  

So last night I tried sleeping just on the Omalon topper and CuddleBed mattress cover.  Oh my gosh, I was awake all night, tossing and turning.  My  back hurt worse than ever in the morning.  It went away as usual, but not until after I put the hot compress on it.  

Soooooo....I'm trying one more thing tonight!  I took off the Omalon topper, so now there's nothing on top of the mattress except for the CuddleBed mattress topper.  It adds a little softness.  I'll see how it goes.  I DO prefer a supportive topper to add some cushion when sleeping on my side.  But not if I'm in pain every morning now.  

IF I awaken with a bad back again, I'm going to call my mattress guy and ask him if he thinks after 18 years I possibly might need the "innards" tweaked.  I know that talalay latex is supposed to last long. But I also have that piece of HR poly foam as a base, as well as the LuraFlex coils.  I'm not sure after 18 years these components are bound to lose their support. I don't know what to look for.  Even the Omalon topper looks fine.  No indentations, etc.   But maybe after so many years, losing support.   All I know is I HAVE to figure out what's going on!  I simply can't keep waking up with a painful back!  

Oh, and I have a ROOM full of every type of pillow you can think of.  Long before my back started hurting because of the mattress, a couple of years ago, my trusty feather and down pillow was now causing neck stiffness and soreness. I know they can flatten out during the night.   So I changed to a memory foam pillow which alleviated the neck issues.  Not as comfy as my feather pillow, though. Well, now the memory foam pillow isn't working anymore. Back to neck stiffness.  So I've decided to go back to a 100% feather pillow layered on a thinner pillow underneath for added support.

But more than anything, I just want to wake up without a sore back!  My shoulders hurt more, too, although I have calcifitis inside.  Help, please! 

This message was modified Sep 7, 2024 by BeddyBye