King vs. two twinXL innerspring mattresses
Aug 11, 2009 11:06 AM
We have decided to upgrade to a king size bed, however, I really do not like the motion transfer we get with the innerspring mattress.  I cannot go with latex or other foam based mattress due to back pain, so we are stuck with innerspring.  Pocket coils are out too ( have one and it does not hold up over time).  Some posters on this forum seem to think a king size innerspring mattress will sag in the middle due to its construction.  I've never owned a king size so I'd like to hear more about if it will sag or not. 

Anyone who has used two twinXLs as a king, I would really appreciate it if you would share your experience as to how did it work out, was it comfortable for both, did you fall through the crack, and would a bridge (FBM has a foam bridge) make it feel like one mattress?  The mattress is going on top of a king sized platform bed, no box springs.  Thanks in advance.
Re: King vs. two twinXL innerspring mattresses
Reply #2 Aug 12, 2009 4:30 PM
We've slept on two XL Twins for several years and I would never go back to a King. We have our XL twins inside an Eastern king frame on top of two XL twin foundations. They are in there so tight that there is no way we can fall through the crack. I tried one of those foam bridges once. Forget it. Since I have an Omalon foam topper and Cuddlebed mattress pad over our mattresses, that in itself ties the two together.

What's nice about having our mattresses, is if one of us prefers a different comfort level, we have that option. Or you can replace just one as opposed to the whole shebang. I highly recommend it. Then you buy Eastern King sheets. I find them cheaper at Ross.

We also have zippered mattresses I ordered from a local store. Another advantage of having our mattresses. We can tweak the insides to our own taste.
Reply #3 Aug 12, 2009 7:10 PM
Beddybye, do you find any motion transfer with that setup? I assume you use king-size sheets...
Reply #4 Aug 14, 2009 5:28 PM
No motion transfer. Yes, King sized sheets. NOT California King, though. Eastern King isn't always easy to find West of the Rockies. Ross store is where I usually go. Cheaper, too.

electracat wrote:
Beddybye, do you find any motion transfer with that setup? I assume you use king-size sheets...
Reply #5 Aug 14, 2009 6:15 PM
Sounds good! I'm looking to get some foam layers from FBM (5 inch core, and some toppers)...Do you think i should go with a split core---even if it's the same density/firmness--and/or split toppers to reduce motion? I just have a hard time believing it'll make a difference, squished inside a cover, but maybe it would??