Latex Mattress Confusion! - Savvy Rest - Sleepez - Flobeds???
Sep 10, 2008 9:50 AM
Hi - I am new to the forum and have read most posts and reviews out there on Latex Mattresses. It has been super helpful to me, but I am also now confused as well!!

My Back Story:
We recently bought a Tempurpedic Deluxe model. Felt comfy in the store - but I just haven't been able to get used to it and it feels like I am sleeping on a ROCK! (We have had it about 6/7 weeks now - so we are within our window to return it so it is going back!) My husband likes it, but would only rate it a comfort level of 7 (1 being worst and 10 being best) For the price paid, I would certainly hope it would be more comfortable than that for him! Plus he has been getting headaches everyday since we got the mattress, and I have had headaches on and off plus have severe head/neck/shoulder pain in the morning when I get up and never feel rested.  I know the Tempurpedics have the out gassing issue and am wondering if our headaches etc...could be due to the chemicals? I am using the same pillows we had before the mattress, so I know that shouldn't be causing the neck/shoulder head pain for me. Regardless of the out gassing - it is going back because it just isn't comfortable for me.

My husband and I are both 5' 10''. I am about 140 he is about 200. He is over mattress buying and is not offering me any input into what he wants. He just wants me to be comfy. He says he can sleep on anything, but I still want him to be comfy as well. I like the idea of buying split pieces, but he says he just wants all one piece layers. (Not sure why)

I originally was looking at the Savvy Rest because they are the only all natural and certified organic everything I can find out there. They are quite pricey though. Doing research on the web I also found Sleepez and Flobeds that I am also considering. Mainly because with Flobeds I like their return policy and Sleepez I like their price. I know they are not totally organic, but do offer All Natural Latex as an option. I have spoken with both companies and find them knowledgeable and friendly and both seem to use Latex Intl as a supplier. I have been in contact with Latex Intl and am waiting on a response about their Oeko-Tex certification to see if that is for all of their latex. (synthetic or natural) or just their natural. We'll see if I hear anything back. I am guessing it is probably just for their natural Latex as from what I can figure all the synthetic latex does use petroleum products in it - but their website seems to indicate that all their Talalay latex meets this standard, but I am not sure.

I am leaning towards the 4 layer latex sleep systems, as my husband and I both like the 'cushy' feel of a mattress, yet we do want support. One of the things I miss about my old innerspring before we got the tempurpedic was that 'spingy' feeling and being able to sit comfortably on the bed for reading etc...without continuing to sink in!

So here are my questions:

1) Is it worth going with the 4 layer latex vs. the 3 layer to get that ultimate comfy feel? (I want to feel like I am in a bed dreamland rather than the rock of a tempurpedic I am on!)

2) Anyone had any off gassing or chemical smell experience with the synthetic/natural latex blends that Flobeds and Sleepez offer? Is it better to go with the all natural for smell and piece of mind that I am not inhaling toxic chemicals? It seems like the synthetic blend will hold up longer, but I think all natural is supposed to have a pretty long life span too.
(FYI - Sleepez says t hey use a blend of 60 synthetic and 40 natural in their blend and Flobeds says they use 65 syn to 35 natural - but don't quote me on that)

3) Dunlop vs. Talalay - I know there are debates on this forum about that but being that we have never slept on latex can anyone advice which may be better for our wants of a cushy yet supportive feel?

4) Sleepez vs. Flobeds - again - I have read through all the debates on these companies. I am leaning towards Sleepez just because of price - we want a good mattress, but this is going to stretch us so every penny counts. The Sleepez rep says people typically don't do more than 1 exchange, which is all they allow. Have people found that to be true?

5) Is latex even right for us? After reading all the differing opinions, I am just worried that Latex may not be worth the hype?

Thanks ahead of time for peoples advice in helping this 'newbie' out! I wish we had a store I could test them out near by but we don't. We have one store that carries the Sealy Spring Free line - and that is comfy and I like it  but I am worried about off gassing and if it will actually last or not. Sealy gets their latex from Latex Intl too for this line - but sealy notes it is a polyurethane foam on it's website - so that makes me worry about the off gassing and after effects. Anyone had any experiences with the Spring Free line from Sealy? I didn't see much on them on this forum.

Thanks again for reading my long post!

p.s - My husband hates motion transfer - why we tried the tempur pedic) as I roll around a lot sleeping.  I am also worried that Latex may not fit me being that I miss the feel of my innerspring. Maybe it is just because I do not like what we currently have? I missing sitting in bed comfortable and reading and just feeling snuggly  in bed.
This message was modified Sep 10, 2008 by cmom05
Re: Latex Mattress Confusion! - Savvy Rest - Sleepez - Flobeds???
Reply #11 Oct 5, 2008 6:59 PM
Hi,

I was wondering if you purchased your bed yet?  If so, what did you get and are you happy with it?  I'd love to hear about your experience.  I posted quite a while ago regarding organic latex, but our bed-search went on hold. 

Thank you!

Recent Posts