Post your experiences regarding effectiveness of 1" (inch) Talalay Latex Topper
Jun 13, 2009 7:06 PM
For those who has experimented with 1 inch Talalay latex toppers to eliminate pressure points, please post your impression of the impact the 1 inch topper. Please include your ILDs, pressure points, and the degree of relief from 1 - 10 with 1 no difference and 10 being it eliminated your pressure points and you are happy.

My background:

Height 5' 9" and 190 lbs.

A little a year ago I purchased a 8" Talalay latex mattress consisting of a 6" core at 30 ILD and a 2" topper at 22 ILD, all enclosed in an all natural cotton cover with Joma wool batting.  The goal was to relieve my shoulder pain for sleeping on my side.  I sleep about 50% on my left side, 10% on my right side, and 40% on my back.

Eight months into sleeping on the mattress, I started to develop a sore lower back on my right side (from sleeping on my left side), but my shoulder pain had disappeared.  A year into sleeping on the mattress, my back gave out and I could no longer sit upright or lay on on the latex mattress.  Well, after 4 months of trying inner spring, futon, and carpeted floor as my sleeping surface, my back got stronger.   So I decided that the 30 ILD 6" core was too soft and replaced it with a 39 ILD 6" core.

Needless to say, two nights on the upraded mattress reverted my lower back pain to where I couldn't sit upright.  So I went back to an inner spring mattress, but my back would only get better to only a certain point.  So I decided to try switching the 2" topper at 22 ILD and the 6" core at 39 ILD so that I am lying on the 39 ILD core directly, and lo and behold, my back gets better!  However, my shoulder pain is returning.  So now I need to soften the 39 ILD core just enough to relieve the shoulder pain, but not reintroduce the back pain.

It looks like the 2" topper was too thick and eliminated the support of the firmer core underneath.  So I am looking at maybe a thinner topper to relieve the shoulder pain without compromising the firm support of the core underneath.  The big question is will a 1" topper work and at what ILD?

So if you post your experiences with 1" Talalay latex toppers, I can determine the correct ILD to use.

Thanks.
This message was modified Jun 13, 2009 by mifronte
Re: Post your experiences regarding effectiveness of 1" (inch) Talalay Latex Topper
Reply #2 Jun 14, 2009 6:05 AM
I think you nailed the problem here--too much of a comfort layer undermining back support. But it's very difficult to say whether a 1" topper will actually provide enough shoulder cushioning without giving you a backache because everyone is different and comfort is a subjective matter.

I have the same 1" latex topper Lynn has. I too feel that it is more in the 24-26 range than 28. Both of us like firm beds so that 1" of 24-26 ILD latex is enough cushioning, but we both weigh considerably less than you do. The more you weigh the more you compress the latex and bottom out to the firmer layer beneath.  

It's worth a try if you can find some place that will allow you to return the topper if it doesn't work for you--and you simply won't know until you try it.  Another thing you might consider is just putting a little extra padding under the mattress cover at your shoulders only--latex, memory foam, PU--whatever. I know that sounds like it will make the mattress uneven or lumpy, but as long as the extra spot padding isn't too thick it will tend to compress when you lie on it and only your shoulders will know it's there--presumably because they will be more comfortable.

Re: Post your experiences regarding effectiveness of 1" (inch) Talalay Latex Topper
Reply #3 Jun 14, 2009 1:07 PM
Thank you Lynn2006 and cloud9 for the informations.

My mattress is a split king and so my wife's side is a 6" core at 30 ILD.  Of course the 2" topper at 22 ILD is at the bottom (since it is not split like the 6" cores) and is just acting as a filler for our 8" mattress cover.  I tried sleeping on my side on the 30 ILD and it is still a little too firm at the shoulder and does not give enough support at the hips.

I was looking at the 1" topper at 24 ILD from sleeplikeabear.com.
Does a firm mattress causes hip pains?
Reply #4 Jun 16, 2009 2:05 PM
I have soreness on both side of the hip sockets.  I am not sure if this is a result of sleeping on my side on a firm mattress or because of my daily walking.  Can someone describe what hip pains and what causes it (firm or soft mattress).

I am still trying to determine the right topper.  Sleeplikeabear.com recommended a 1" at 24 ILD if all I have are shoulder pains and a 2" at 28 ILD if I also have hip pains.  I am a little skeptical of a 2" topper since the last 2" topper at 22 ILD caused my lower back pain.