Side sleeper with upper back and shoulder/neck pain needs help finding foam mattress
Sep 13, 2010 7:13 PM
Hi everyone, I'm new here.  My upper back, shoulders and neck have been in chronic pain since giving up my waterbed for a boxspring and coil bed.  I'm researching the best (inexpensive) foam mattress to get that will help with my pain.  I'm currently looking at a Serta 11 inch select a firmness mattress, which firmness should a side sleeper get?  The choices are Soft, Medium and Firm with the reviews saying the firm softens over time. 

Do side sleepers need a soft bed or firm bed?  Any help would be greatly appreciated, it's been 3 years of hellish shoulder pain (which is hurting more than my back) from sleeping on a coil mattress.

ETA:  Here is the link to the reviews on the mattress.  I'm still trying to read them all but any feedback on firmness would be helpful.

This message was modified Sep 13, 2010 by phazuka
Re: Side sleeper with upper back and shoulder/neck pain needs help finding foam mattress
Reply #4 Sep 13, 2010 8:30 PM
I have had 3 shoulder surgeries and the only mattress that allows me to sleep on the shoulder has been a waterbed.  I have a 100% waveless waterbed that cost $350.00.  If you weren't told it was a waterbed you would never know it.
Re: Side sleeper with upper back and shoulder/neck pain needs help finding foam mattress
Reply #5 Sep 13, 2010 8:51 PM
I had the 80% motionless waterbed mattress with baffles. 

What I'm confused about is whether side sleepers need a soft or firm bed, in relation to foam mattresses.  Thanks all for the supportive and helpful replies so far.

Reply #6 Sep 13, 2010 9:04 PM
Jazzsinger777 wrote:

I recommend you give Dewey a call at Flobeds.com .  They have a VZone product, while it is a little pricey, I believe they will have the right product for you and can work with your issues.  In particular the side and sleeper with neck and shoulder pain.

Hi Jazz, I saw the flobeds and they are definitely out of my price range.  Looking for something under $500 that will last at least 5 years.

Reply #7 Sep 13, 2010 9:05 PM
Side sleepers tend to prefer softer mattresses.  Otherwise you get too much pressure on shoulders and hips.  It will depend on weight and body type as well.  I agree that a vzone type flobed might help (you can make it soft or firm in the shoulder, whatever works).  Otherwise, a memory foam type bed might work, or go back to a waterbed.

p.s. just saw your last post after I wrote the above.  I think you will have difficulty at $500 or less.   Possibly a memory foam from Costco would work, and it is returnable if it doesn't.   Or pickup up a cheap used mattress and add a couple of inches of memory foam if it is too firm for your shoulder.

This message was modified Sep 13, 2010 by sandman
Reply #8 Sep 13, 2010 9:31 PM
phazuka wrote:

I need a foam mattress that has about the same type of give when sleeping on my side as a waterbed. 

Well, if you want to keep it under $500 you can just buy a bunch of cheap PU foam.  Another option is a softside watebed.

Reply #9 Sep 13, 2010 11:14 PM
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Comfort-Dreams-11-inch-Select-A-Firmness-Memory-Foam-Full-Size-Mattress/3158653/product.html

This is the one I'm looking at, It's not a Serta as first described.  The reviews are very positive, I just read every one.  I'm thinking I need the soft bed.

Also, I am 180lbs, side sleeper, use 1 flat pillow and 1 goose down pillow.

ETA:  I have another question on the same topic...do I want to use my existing box spring for a foam mattress or use the coil mattress as the foundation then the foam mattress on top?  I don't want the middle to sag over time if there's not enough support with a box spring.

This message was modified Sep 13, 2010 by phazuka
Reply #10 Sep 22, 2010 10:16 AM
We just bought that same one about a month ago (well, 2 xls pushed together to make a King) and are very happy with it so far.  We got the Overstock select-a-firmness 11-inch in soft.

The reviews are correct - get a "soft."  The soft is still *very* firm, and I like a firm mattress.  I am a side sleeper and I cannot imagine it being any firmer or it would hurt my ribs.  As it is, it might even be a tad bit too firm for me (keeping in mind, again, I like a firm mattress).  I think as a side sleeper you would be very happy with the support of the soft.

The only thing I cannot vouch for is the longevity.  We like it a *lot* so far, but we've only had it a month.  I always worry with something so "affordable" that it will die over time.  This was worth the risk for us, though, since the higher end mattresses just weren't do-able at this time. 

You might want to look into Costco memory foam, too, since you cannot return the Overstock mattress for any reason.  Costco has a better return policy.  The Costco return policy didn't do us a lot of good, though, since we live more than 400 miles from the closest Costco.  Another reason we went with Overstock.

Good luck with your decision.

Recent Posts