sitting up in bed
Jan 31, 2009 1:07 PM
My spouse and I spend a lot of our time sitting up in bed -- knitting (me), working on laptops (him), watching TV (both of us). We're finding that a bed that's soft enough for comfortable sleeping (I have trochanteric bursitis that gets much worse with pressure) tends to cause problems in our hips and low backs from the sitting up. Right now we've got a firm innerspring with a thick memory foam topper, which is great for sleeping but not so much for sitting.We're upgrading to a larger bed and we'd like to find something that fits the way we actually use our bed.

We tried a Tempurpedic adjustable in the store yesterday and found it very comfortable, but we don't have $7,000 to throw at this problem!

Has anybody found a good solution for this issue?
Re: sitting up in bed
Reply #1 Feb 1, 2009 3:05 PM
No I don't have a solution, I have the same ailment hip bursitis. But I have trouble sleeping on my side, and sitting in chairs that are not soft. You are fortunate to being able to sleep on your side in the bed. I had a Sealy bed that was like a Tempurpedic and that was only good 6-8 months, then extreme pain. So I think you may have to find a different solution than altering your mattress, if you are able to sleep in in. That at least is good you can sleep in it : - )

Sorry.
Reply #2 Feb 1, 2009 4:20 PM
No real solution here, but if you liked the adjustable bed, why not check out other sources. A couple of recent posts on this board gave good reviews to mattresses from bedinabox.com and overnightmattress.com.  These companies sell adjustable beds for a fraction of the Tempurpedic price.   In fact, both are currently running significant sales, and they offer free shipping and good return policies. 
Reply #3 Feb 1, 2009 5:24 PM
This may be no help at all but we recently saw an ad for an inflatable bed adjuster in a JC Penney mail-out.  Looked triangular in shape and made to fit under a non-rigid mattress so if your topper is thick enough you could put this thing under the topper???

Inflated it lifts the mattress similar to an adjustable bed so you can sit up and lean against it and then just deflate it when it's time to go to sleep.  It's called the "Inflatable Mattress Genie" and it is on sale at around 50% off making the King size $169.00.  In comes with a remote for control of inflation and deflation and actually looks pretty neat.  Catalog Number for King is B 864-3103.

They also show something called the "Backmax Contour Wedge with Massage" - couple hundred bucks and the picture shows a model using this as a sitting prop in bed for reading.  I think my bride is going to buy one of these to use all over the house.  Catalog number is: B 864-3107.

You may want to check these accessories out.

Best of Luck

Jim

Reply #4 Feb 1, 2009 11:37 PM
How old is your innerspring mattress? The reason I ask is if you have read postings here the old mattresses that you can flip are (were) the best. I just wouldn't throw that mattress out if you still like it. I know some people wish they hadn't.

I was reading Flobeds has a bed that is adjustable. You might look at that website. Just an idea. I really know nothing about Flobeds or adjustable beds. Good luck.
Reply #5 Feb 18, 2009 5:54 AM
Darn.. wish I saw this post earlier.  BedinaBox and Overnight Mattresses do have the best prices on adjustable frames (I just ordered an S-Cape from another vendor that I thought was cheapest, but is about $100 more than these two vendors).
Thanks for the info though. I'll definitely go there in the future.

Richiro