Surgery On Simmons Danny Seo Latex?
Sep 3, 2010 2:19 PM
I read BillB's review the simmons Danny Seo.  Unfortunately we bought ours 2 years ago and cannot return it.  It is the Simmons New Hope Natural Care 'Latex'.  The mattress has become way too soft, and gives us severe back aches.  We hate to replace it so soon after a 2k$ investment.  So, after researching this site, I'm thinking of the cheapest way to "fix" the mattress.  One option is a topper.  I'm not sure what ILD to choose and what thickness for this option. 

Another option, is to cut the mattress open and insert a 1/4 inch plywood between the top layer and foundation layer.  I understand the top layer of latex is only 2" thick?  Is this possible?

Re: Surgery On Simmons Danny Seo Latex?
Reply #1 Sep 3, 2010 3:45 PM
It is pretty hard to fix a soft mattress with a topper, because they will still sink into the mattress.   I am not aware of anyone successully fixing it that way, but I would think you would need firm latex, maybe around 32-36 ILD.  Probably 1-2". 

I think that the plywood might make it too firm, since it would not flex much at all.  There is firm funiture grade foam (up to 70 ILD) that you could put under the 2".  Not sure if that would work either, but might give it some firmness.

Better would be to remove some foam that is too soft.  Do you know the exact construction of the mattress?  Is it one big block of foam or latex covered by a 2" piece of latex?  It is possible that the 2" piece is too soft, so maybe you could replace that with something firmer or just totally take it off.  Kind of hard to tell without taking it a part and or knowing exactly what is inside.

You can also try flipping it over to see what it feels like on the bottom side.  It is possible that is plenty firm and you could possibly put a topper on that.  I did that once with a memory foam bed I was trying.  It was so soft that I preferred it flipped over with a 2" topper over the bottom side.

Do you have this on a firm platform?  If it is on a softer box spring, that could be the problem as well.

Reply #2 Sep 3, 2010 5:17 PM
One suggestion, untested, is a rubberized coco- fiber mat layer. 

http://www.coco-mat.com/web/en/product/mattresses/atlas

I was looking at these mattresses in person (look through the website, they have many designs and versions, some where you can relocate the coco mat to a different level(s) in the mattress sandwich).

I read elsewhere (Bugsy?) that rubberized coco fiber mat is an ideal material for certain stiffening roles in bedding and upholstery, but it may be difficult to source. If it is so widely used, perhaps it can be sourced. 

Reply #3 Sep 3, 2010 10:07 PM
probably was me lol. 

I don't want to derail the thread, but how did you like the comfort the the Coco-Mat options compared to the all latex mattresses you tried?

Reply #4 Sep 4, 2010 12:18 AM
I tried them too, same place as Lovegasoline here in NYC.  I like the buoyancy of a pure talalay mattress, and the Coco-mat takes some of the bounce away and added some stiffness with its layers of fiber between the layers of latex.  Other than I thought the latex felt quite similar to the other talalay mattresses on the floor, at least in the short time I had to try them all out.  But I'm sure it boils down to personal preference, whether you like a more lively sleep surface or not. Some people might like the Coco-Mat way better.

In any case I agree using a layer of  fiber sounds like a better idea than inserting a piece of plywood, if you're planning to experiment with things like that.

Reply #5 Sep 4, 2010 11:38 AM
Lovegasoline wrote:

One suggestion, untested, is a rubberized coco- fiber mat layer. 

http://www.coco-mat.com/web/en/product/mattresses/atlas

I was looking at these mattresses in person (look through the website, they have many designs and versions, some where you can relocate the coco mat to a different level(s) in the mattress sandwich).

I read elsewhere (Bugsy?) that rubberized coco fiber mat is an ideal material for certain stiffening roles in bedding and upholstery, but it may be difficult to source. If it is so widely used, perhaps it can be sourced. 

Along the same lines, I have a 1.5" organic wool filled topper that I bought at walmart.com (can't remember who makes it).  When I use that, it definitely seems to make my mattress feel a little firmer - like I don't sink in as much.  I took it off recently to see what it was like without it, and I definitely felt like I was sinking in more.   Even the wool filled Natura mattress pad makes it feel firmer. 

I took them off for a few days to be able to feel the foam more, which I was able to.  The downside was too much sinking in and hotter as well.  So, I have gone back to using them. 

I have not been able to figure out why they would cause the effect, but I think it is because they essentially pull tight when I am laying on them, so it stops the heaviest areas from sinking in as much.

I don't think these would cure a mattress that is way too soft, but it might help one that is a little too soft.

Reply #6 Sep 4, 2010 6:02 PM
Sandman, I have the same effect from my Natura wool mattress pad.  It makes the 3 inches of "medium" latex I have on top a bit firmer.  I think you are correct in that the mattress pad has tucked in cotton sides which pull tight when you lay on it.   It's fine with me since the latex was just a tad soft for me and now it's just right...haha.    That's why I think most folks prefer the Dormeir wool pad.   I believe it has stretchy knit sides and smoother stiching on top to preserve the feel of the latex.  The temperature control of either is excellent.   Just my 2 cents worth.  
Can the Color of Your Mattress Affect Your Sleep Quality?**.
Reply #7 Today 4:55 AM
Have you ever considered how the color of your mattress might influence your sleep? Some studies suggest that colors can evoke emotional responses and affect relaxation levels. Could choosing a specific color for your mattress be an overlooked factor in achieving a better night's sleep?",
"refusal